By Nigel Alderman,C. D. Blanton
- An old evaluation and important creation to the poetry released in Britain and eire over the past half-century
- Introduces scholars to figures together with Philip Larkin, Ted Hughes, Seamus Heaney, and Andrew Motion
- Takes an integrative technique, emphasizing the complicated negotiations among the British and Irish poetic traditions, and pulling jointly competing trends and positions
- Written through critics from Britain, eire, and the United States
- Includes feedback for extra studying and a chronology, detailing an important writers, volumes and events
Read Online or Download A Concise Companion to Postwar British and Irish Poetry (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best british & irish poetry books
Desire Mirrlees (1887-1978) has lengthy been considered as the misplaced modernist. Her outstanding lengthy poem Paris (1920), a trip via an afternoon in publish First international struggle Paris, was once thought of by means of Virginia Woolf imprecise, indecent, and brilliant'. learn at the present time, the poem keeps its exhilarating bold. Mirrlees's experimentalism seems to be ahead to The Waste Land; her writing is necessary to the twentieth-century canon.
Idiot Moon is a gleaming assortment via a widely known poet. developed in 4 elements for the stages of the moon, it truly is as vigorous and irreverent as ever. There are vivid glimpses of far flung areas, hot conversations with buddies, jokes and video games with phrases, robust theatrical components and encounters with different writers.
Edward chippie: In Appreciation, first released in 1931, provides a suite of tributes to and recollections concerning the popular socialist poet, pioneering homosexual rights activist, environmentalist and political philosopher. Embroiled in controversy with in demand figures of all political persuasions within the past due 19th and early 20th centuries, Carpenter’s imaginative and prescient of sexual freedom, democracy and an finish to commercialism used to be maintained with integrity over the process his complete lifestyles.
'The preferred English poet considering the fact that Larkin. ' Sunday TimesAfter greater than a decade and following his celebrated adventures in drama, translation, commute writing and prose poetry, Simon Armitage's 11th selection of poems heralds a go back to his trademark modern lyricism. The items during this multi-textured and relocating quantity are set opposed to a backdrop of monetary recession and social department, the place mass media, the mass industry and globalisation have made alienation a ordinary adventure and the place the solitary mind's eye drifts and conjures.
- Chaucer, Gower, and the Vernacular Rising: Poetry and the Problem of the Populace After 1381
- Contradictions: From Beowulf to Chaucer: Selected Studies of Larry Benson
- Being Human
- Paradise Lost
Extra resources for A Concise Companion to Postwar British and Irish Poetry (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Concise Companion to Postwar British and Irish Poetry (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) by Nigel Alderman,C. D. Blanton